Mosquitoes: Don't Let Them Breed; Don’t Let Them Feed
Posted on June 03, 2013
Here are some tips to help protect yourself and your children from West Nile Virus this season.
Don’t Let Them Breed
Remove standing stagnant water from outside around your home:
- Clogged or poorly pitched roof gutters
- Idle swimming pools, fountains, garden ponds and bird baths
- Any container, tire or other item that will hold water (see image above)
- Use “Mosquito Dunks” (Bti briquettes) in standing water where necessary around your property.
Don’t Let Them Feed
Make sure windows and doors have working intact screens. Wear protective clothing and use insect repellent when doing outdoor activities.
- Mosquitoes are especially active from dusk until dawn.
- Wooded areas, swamps, marshes and still ponds, streams and vernal pools make good habitat for mosquito breeding.
- Repellents containing at least 5 – 20 % DEET are shown to be effective at repelling mosquitoes. Use according to directions. The higher the concentration of DEET, the longer the repellent will be effective.
- Use mosquito netting to protect infants in carriages.